Monday, April 8, 2013

Make the Most of Your Online Learning Experience

  Upon graduating high school, students who further their education realize, rather quickly, how different college is from anything that they have done before. With more freedom comes more responsibility. Even students who were serious learners in high school have issues with the transition. It takes time to get into a groove. I am attending a college where all of my learning is in a classroom simply due to their policy of experiential learning required in every class. When I was at community college, half of my classes were taken online. Except for my science and math classes, I prefer to have all my liberal arts courses done online. I think it can be a great success for the student, especially the transitional student. Here are a few reasons why:
  1. I am supporting myself and money is tight.
  2. I don't want to spend a full day in the classroom. 
  3. I have a crazy work schedule. 
  
  I learned quickly that I loved my online classes. Not only because I was spending less money in gas and time sitting in a classroom, I was able to work at my own pace. What?!?!? You can do that? Yes, I can. So can you. Here is how you can get the most out of online learning. 

  • Learn to be a self-starter! 
    • Fill up your Google calendar with important due dates and set up alerts, in advance. Preferably the day before the homework or Discussion Board assignment is due. For larger projects, set up an alert a few days to a week out to make sure that you have enough time to complete it. 
  • Schedule an "everything goes wrong" day. 
    • This is important. You have to allow time to mess up. This way you allowed yourself a day to scrap a project and start over or a day off when chaos ensues. Know which day of the week can do that to your schedule despite your best efforts.
  • E-mail the prof with questions as they arise.
    • Just because you and your teacher are miles away does not mean that they are not available to you. They will have online "office" hours where they can communicate through your school's system, via instant messaging, voice, or even video (if your computer is set up for it).
  • Schedule at least 15 minutes a day to review notes/readings.
    • This helps you get into a pattern of "studying". You know, something you probably did very little of in high school. It will help you transition back into the classroom when necessary.
  • Ask for outside resources.
    • Hrm, sounds like asking for more things to do? It's worth it. Some of the books you will have to buy for the class include practice tests and tutorials. Check them out along with any websites and any Youtube videos that could help. 
  These are the best suggestions I can give you. If you have a few you would like to share, please do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment