Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Math Anxiety: A Personal Case Study


 Math anxiety is the major reason why I want to be in education. My liberal arts professors know I could be successful in any area of my choosing, as writing in those subject areas come easier to me than some students. Maybe it sounds like I’m bragging a bit, but I know I could maintain a near 4.0 average in English or History. Those subjects are in my bloodline, it is what my family is good at. When I went back to school, I wanted to do something that was meaningful and something challenging. I began my college career going back to the basics of Algebra and did not begin really struggling until Calculus II. And I thought, why am I having such a difficult time? I created a Math diary to figure out where the problem began. I did not have problems with the homework. But as soon as the test was slapped down on my desk, the old familiar feeling of panic and anxiety arose forcing a sort of “brain freeze.” So I have been researching this subject most of my summer to see what I could do to overcome my anxiety and help other students who I know are in the same boat desparately searching for that proverbial paddle.
  Math is often perceived to be more difficult. As if some people are born to do Math and the rest of the population is not. This is a myth. Anyone and everyone can do Math. There is no Math gene. Stop fooling yourselves and making excuses as to why you can’t do it. It’s a terrible disease in this country that special people are born to do Math. This also goes for the girls too. Research has shown that there is no difference in performance on standardized Math tests. The only difference appears in certain areas of Math where girls are really good with number theory and patterns and boys are more spatially apt. However, it could explain why more men are in engineering and more women are in the financial field.
  Recent studies have shown that Math Anxiety can begin as early as elementary school. Usually with a bad memory. Such as a poor test grade, meetings between the teacher and parents, etc. In many ways, by what most teachers perceive as “helping” could be breaking down the student’s self confidence.
If you are the parent, here is my advice:
§  Don’t freak out on your child. This may elevate already present levels of anxiety. Instead, calmly talk to them . Let them know that you had problems understanding Math (and I know every one of you has!) and that you are willing to help.
§  Do Math homework early and together. This will allow you to see where your child is having problems. If you think that your child might have Discalculia (refer to previous blog in June), have them tested as soon as possible so your student can be put on an Individualized Education Plan (IEP). Allow your child to take small breaks between groups of problems so it is easier on you and your child to get through it all. Plus, this time together can be used as a confidence builder!
§  Purchase books or games and visit websites that are Math-based. This will give you an assortment of materials to work with when your child does not have homework that night. For students with Math Anxiety, it is recommended that they spend up to an hour per day on Math.
§  Hire a tutor. There will be a point at which you can’t help your child anymore. How long has it been since you did a probability problem? Word problems? Algebra? As adults, if you don’t use it everyday, you lose it. Long Term Memory pushes old information into different areas of the brain or eliminates them to make room for new information. Such as, where are my car keys? Did I remember to pay that bill? Speaking of which, what is my account number? Yep, good old mundane daily living made you forget. That’s why I like using college students as well as teachers, they see it everyday and new studies are showing that students don’t learn any less by having a college student versus having a certified teacher. The difference may be that teachers can access different delivery methods.
For students
§  Read the above and don’t freak out!
§  Build an effective study group. Please visit my earlier blog post about effective study groups. It will help a lot if you have someone to collaborate with to understand the homework.
§  Don’t procrastinate. This will just fuel anxiety. Get it done so you can ask questions about the ones you had trouble with the next day when it is fresh on your mind.
§  Create a Math Journal. Again, please visit my earlier blog post about creating a journal so you can keep a running tab on how far you have come in the learning process and review what may need to be relearned!
§  Change you method of organization. I am blind in one eye and did not know that this can effect how I look at Math! Literally! I have to use graph paper because I lack depth perception and colored pencils so that it is easier for my eyes to distinguish between information. Students with Math Anxiety have problems with processing, encoding, and keeping Math ideas in Long Term Memory.
§  Learn how to relax. Use biofeedback signals to stop panic in its tracks! I use Tai Chi but even deep breathing can help.
It seems like a lot of work and it will be. Don’t get discouraged!


For teachers:
§  Be encouraging, always. Help them develop study strategies and organizational skills to cope with anxiety. Don’t tell them “You could have done better.” That only increases anxiety. Students with Math Anxiety have high standards of themselves, they don’t need anymore help beating themselves up. Instead, start a conversation with “it looks like you were having a bad day, would you like to tell me about it?” I know, it is hard to make time for students, but it is a necessity.
§  Make yourself available after school one day a week. This will give the students who are shy about their Math Anxiety time to go through recent lessons and get a firm grip on the material. You will also be able to have a better look at what might be causing memory interference and help develop strategies to overcome them.
§  Recommend a tutor and other aides to the parents and students. Parents and students trust your knowledge, skills, and background. Why would not they trust someone you recommend? My Algebra I teacher in middle school obtained a high school honor student to tutor me once a week. If it was not a good experience, I would not be bothered with this line of work.

Together, we can break this cycle of Math fears!

No comments:

Post a Comment